Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rt.66- Marilyn Monroe


Marilyn Monroe once said, "I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time".




And so, I am in Santa Monica at the end of the west bound leg of Route 66. My schedule has been blown to bits, my plans shattered, and my desire to see so much of this road, unfulfilled. Yet, I had a great time.


Rt. 66 was never built for the tourist trade, it was primarily an economic engine. Entrepreneurs saw to it that those traveling along it were entertained and cared for, it was a natural development. If you had a wonder to see near your home town, great. If you didn't, then chances are some one would make one to bring in the tourists. The good ones all seem to still be there.




I had alot of surprises along the way and I could not plan for those. I would not change one. I learned so much about people and the country as a whole, I think this was a common link to the travelers along Route 66 then and now.


The fields, farms, small towns, cities, deserts and mountains are all great in their individual way. I am glad for that individuality. If not for that, then why travel?

No comments: